Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I Want A Recipe: Shepherd's Pie

I Want a Recipe: Shepherd's Pie

My MIL is coming to town this Thursday and she is what I will kindly refer to as PICKY when it comes to food. She doesn't like a lot of seasoning, is pretty traditional about foods, and after endless tours of restaurants, we've managed to find 2 places that she likes.  Wait.  3.  One of which is Arby's!  So I'm pretty sure that shouldn't count.

Anyway, I'm hoping to make a Shepherd's Pie Thursday night.  My plan is to use instant mashed potatoes so that John will actually eat it and that will cut a lot of the prep time down.

If you have a great recipe, could you post it?

4 comments:

  1. Here's one I found that doesn't even have any seasonings in the ingredient list. I would add some S&P, though. It also calls for canned green beans; I would use frozen and maybe add corn.

    Hope this helps!


    Ingredients

    * 1 pound ground beef
    * 1 (14.5 ounce) can green beans, drained
    * 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
    * 1/2 onion, diced
    * 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    * 2 cups mashed potatoes

    Directions

    1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. Cook and stir ground beef in a skillet over medium-high heat until beef is browned, about 10 minutes. Drain fat. Mix in green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and onion.
    3. Pour beef mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish and top with Cheddar cheese. Spread mashed potato on top.
    4. Bake in the preheated oven until the pie is hot, and the mashed potatoes are golden brown, about 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I ended up doing something very similar in the crockpot, which I love, but having to brown the ground beef first, which I freaking hate. I believe crockpots were created so that you can dump everything in and let it go, not cook it first.

    But anyhow, I might post the recipe if I ever try it again without browning first.

    Plus, my MIL doesn't like onions either! Hopefully my crockpot endeavor turns out - we'll find out tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought my recipe was rather tasty. John said "It was good" in that tone of voice where it's like, what do you really mean by that?

    His mom took a plate and had about half. So it was an almost success. But I think that I'd try it again without browning the ground beef first. It was pretty simple and quite tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.